Tuesday 30 March 2010

Methotrexate Diaries III - Folic frolics

And we're into the zone. Let me explain. Methotrexate doesn't start to take effect until at least 3 weeks into treatment.They actually say 3-12 weeks, but like anyone else desperate to experience some respite from the pain and discomfort of this shitty disease, I'm trying to keep optimistic and hope that I'll be one of the ones that sees an effect sooner. I guess that also means that the same window applies to side effects. Bah. My glass is half full, but some c**t has put a hole in the bottom.

This is the beginning of my 3rd week, so it's blood test time. Because I'm a Methotrexate newbie, I've got to come to the hospital for my bloods. That's a 50 minute drive, and I was wincing for the last few miles at the pain in my Achilles.

I thought I'd come early to minimise the impact on my day. It's bloody heaving ('scuse the pun), I've taken my ticket: number 63. In fairness, it's moved from 44 to 52 whilst I've typed this.

Oh, by the way - broadly, the point of folic acid is to reduce the likelihood of side-effects. I need to understand how so a little more, but that's the gist.

Beep beep. 63. That's me.

No comments: